Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cartoon Science

Writing this is the hardest thing to do.

A year ago, I was staring down the wrong side of double barrel shotgun. I thought, at that moment, that this was going to be the end. The elderly face with the dark green eyes that were peering down the sights at me belonged to Loony Larry. A grocery store clerk and serial killer. He said to me,

“These are your final moments, tell me what you are thinking.”

I could hear the wood creak as his grip tighten on the stock of the gun but I was strangely relaxed. A calm had washed over me. I raised my hand making the peace sign,

“I have always seen this in cartoons" I said, as I shoved my index and middle finger into each barrel of the shotgun," and I’ve always wondered if it would work.”

I smiled. He fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment